Be Joyful

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in EVERYTHING by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the PEACE OF GOD, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:4-7

These are verses I memorized years ago and they are written on my heart. There are times when I still need to remember not to be anxious, but I eventually listen to my heart saying these verses. I didn't really understand what the "peace of God" was until I experienced it. It's having peace inside you, even when you're going through heartbreaking situations and trials. It does "surpass ALL understanding" and you know it comes from GOD alone. Praise the Lord for His wonderful promises!


I love, love, love what I do. I am passionate about the things I create and the talents God has placed in me. I SO appreciate the time you take to look at my things and the comments you all leave me!

Blessings to you!

Kathy

Monday, March 14, 2011

Poppies for Mom

Here is another card I made using the Plant a Little Love stamp set from JustRite. 




I'm not used to working with large round images, so I took a bit for me to balance things out.  This is the first time I used my circle nestibilities and the first time doing the stenciling around the image the "right" way.  I found instructions for this technique on Paula Williamson's website found here.  The key is using the wheat chalk ink that she recommends.  It came out pretty good I think. 

I also used a Sizzix embossing folder called "Ornate Flower and Frame".  I loved the way the middle of it had an embossed circle to go with the circle image - hopefully you can see that.  Then I didn't want too much white, so I decided to emboss a smaller strip to match down the middle in the salmon color, I sanded it a little, then added a mat of guacamole behind it.  I love this guacamole color and have used it for a while.  I think the new green (can't remember the name) that Stampin Up has out is pretty similar.

I couldn't think of accents to use on this, then I thought, 'butterflies in quacamole'!  I actually had some of these already made up from another project that I ended up not using.

The coloring is my FAVORITE thing to do.  Makes me almost feel artistic.  I love matching colors to the paper colors.  I'm still working on doing the shading better, it just takes time to get it right.  I used my Prismacolor pencils and oderless mineral spirits (aka gamsol) with stumps.  I left tiny bits of white here and there to brighten it and also a few dabs of white gel pen.

When it got down to the wording for the front, I was stumped.  I didn't like any of the shapes I had to go with this.  Finally, I decided to just cut around the words and pop it out a little.

The supplies I used are:

Stamps: Plant a Little Love (JustRite), Well Scripted (Stampin Up)
Paper: Guacamole (Bazzills), Salmon (Coredinations), Whisper White (SU)
Ink: Black (Momento), Wheat chalk ink (Versamagic), Old Olive (SU)
Accessories: white gel pen, Nestibilities' Standard Circles Small #6 & Large #5, sponge, Sizzix Ornate Flower and Frame, Embosslits Beautiful Wings (SU), oderless mineral spirits, stumps
Prismacolor pencils: Pale Vermillion, Poppy Red, Pale Sage, Olive Green, & Dark Green.

Hope you enjoy this!

Kathy

1 comment:

  1. Kathy, I posted a message on your pretty card at SCS, but It's so pretty I wanted to post here too. Very creative with the butterflies, and Your coloring is awesome. I just attended my first ever art class tonight. (It you don't count grade school...smile) I want to learn how to color with my copics (the few that I have LOL)I so admire cards (like yours) that have the images colored so nicely. I guess you are never too old to learn!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for blessing me with your sweet comments!